Monday, July 1, 2013

This is Why I Run

Every morning at around 5:45 it happens.

The ring starts off softly and it is accompanied with a loud vibration. Then the alarm becomes louder, more demanding. I cannot ignore it any longer. My fingers fumble around, looking for my cell. Eventually, I am able to shut off the alarm in my zombie-like stupor. I am fighting myself. Fighting the sleep. Fighting my body. Fighting the excuses and reasonings tempting me, pleading with me, to close my eyes and let the sleep engulf me once more. And yet, my mind yells at me to take action. So I obey.

I jump out of bed, grudgingly. The world is a blur as I stumble around, put in my contacts, and change my clothes. My I-pod glows with approval. My hair is in a ponytail, and now I have a hat and sunglasses. I am protected and obscured, at least, in my own mind. Time to head out.

When I take those first steps, the sun is usually starting to peak out from the clouds. The leaves in the trees are waving and fluttering. The wind is whistling and the birds sing in harmony. The familiar music plays in my ear now. It motivates me. And now I am happy with my choice. I keep up my casual pace, knowing that eventually things will speed up.

And it does. My feet, legs, and thighs sync together, and in one fluid motion, I am running.

I am running.

No fast. Not as graceful as I'd like it to be. But I am still running. I run with purpose and endurance in mind. My body accepts this motion. The music is loud and intense. My thoughts are flowing.

When I run, I dream. And I plan. And I prepare. It is a beautiful, challenging thing.

Sometimes people look at me and smile. Others stick their hands out for a high five. I appreciate the support. And so, I run longer.

Every day I crave it. The need to run builds up inside of me. My mind shouts at me to run. So I obey.

Until now, I haven't shared my love of running with many people. I'm still relatively new to all of this. But, you know what? I think that needs to change. I need to tell people about this. I want to learn more. I need to connect with other people. I want to be with others who run. Because I know I'm not the only one out there. And I'm not as embarrassed anymore. I just know that running feels right.

And so I will keep running, and hopefully improve as time goes on.  And if you happen to see a clumsy girl swaying awkwardly with the breeze, well...

you know who it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment